Tuesday 4 November 2014

Editorial & prints

Here are three sketches from my sketchbook that I scanned in for options to use as an editorial. I couldn't decide between the girl with the crow or the Jack and victim, so I decided to create them both then use the chosen one as an editorial and the other as a print to go in the vinyl. 

The reason I chose to use this image was because it fit the concept that I want for my work, I thought that the face was similar to the faces that I have used for the vinyl and poster, I also used the shadow online around the eyes and this was in all my other illustrations too.
I scanned in my image the opened it in photoshop, the first thing I did was the outline. As I went along I decided I wanted something to stand out a bit. so I copied the out line and pasted two more, making one white and one grey, when I layered them slightly off it created a strange effect that makes the eyes move around and the piece stood out a lot more.
I then wanted a bit of texture and shadow in the face so I used a light brush and added highlights and lowlights in the face and hair.
For the background I created a layer of the title in the same text and repeated it to create a written backdrop, at first I found it too overpowering so I turned down the opacity of the layer until I liked it. For the gradient I added a lighting effect over a red layer and moved it around until it framed the piece perfectly. 

In the brief we were also asked to make the editorial available in a square format, so obviously I had to move around the image in the right sized format. I moved around the figures as necessary to fit. 

I did the same process as I did with the Crow and girl piece and added the Ripper title, I do like this piece but I thought that the previous fit for the editorial a lot more. So I have decided to keep this one as a print  to sell with the vinyl.
I like this piece as the face of the ripper is still hidden, keeping the concept to focus on the victims and keep the Ripper a mystery. 


No comments:

Post a Comment