Tuesday 4 November 2014

David Culbertson

David Culbertson is an amazing horror artist that I have found. I think his work links in well with the sort of concept that I want to create and portray with my work for this brief. David's work shows his views and ideas on death and mortality and his love for the dark side. 


I love this piece! I think its so entrancing and interesting, I think his fast and sketchy style works so well with the concepts that he uses for his work. The scattered tallys show us a scared emotion, frantic as if the person is losing time and control as they fall in to the shadows. The eyes of the character in this piece pull me straight in to look right in to the abyss like eyes, then the cracks in the face seem to make my eyes move around the piece. All of these components show the characters fear and fate, making for an absolutely mind blowing piece of art. 

This piece unlike the others, doesn't have flashes of colours such as red, he has decided to stick to a grey scale colour scheme for this piece. I think this compliments the character well, with the drips and cracks both flowing up and down I think the character is stuck, flailing and trying to crawl up and out of their prison. The whole piece portrays a lost and trapped soul, its very chaotic and captivating. 


This piece is very colourful compared to his other works that I have looked at in this blog, but that doesn't make it any less daunting and scary. The face is my favourite part of this piece, its so dark that the eyes and mouth are not immediately visible, drawing you in to look closer, and when you do you see the open mouth and haunting running eyes. I love the colour pallet David has chosen to use for this piece, I think the yellow is very grimy and interesting. The colours are basically darker variations of primary colours, I like this because in most pieces of art where these colours are used it has  tendency in my opinion to look childish or tacky, but David has transformed the colours in to scary dark and grimy colours, expelling my previous opinions on the colours. 



No comments:

Post a Comment