Tuesday 21 October 2014

Horror Posters

I think I want to start with the poster, so that I have more time to build on concepts and ideas for the vinyl cover and the rest of the item. I want more of a dramatic and harsh poster design, so to get some ideas I want to look through some popular posters for horror films and see what concepts they used and how they carried them off to fit appropriately and attract public attention.
I like the basic colour palette use for this poster, the use of three dramatic colours together worked very well. Although Star Trek isn't a horror movie I felt like the concept for this one would portray a horror movie well so I decided to look at it too. I like the basic male face, yet it doesn't appear altogether basic, I think the techniques used for this takes advantage of the space well. 

I see the concept for most horror posters are vague as to not give away much, this is shown in this poster for The Grudge. The close up of the scared eye and a vague reflection in the eye. The colour palette is here again kept to a minimum selection of colours, and each chosen is a creepy dark and suitable. 

I love the colour palette in this, reds and blacks are in my opinion essential to horror. My favourite component of this poster is the restrained skull that is visible yet it feels like you have to strain, or that its pushing through.

And here again we have the black and red theme as they had used for their 1st series poster (above). They have also used the 'strained' effect that they used in their first poster but in this one they used a chain fence to show a barrier between the audience and the asylum. 

I love the figure coming out of blood splatters! I think it blends well in to the black area and does not look just dropped on to a piece of paper. 

This is a concept I have found in many other horror movie posters, they seem  to alway have a general picture of the setting in the film with some sort of object symbolising the murderer or fate of the people in the film. In this one they have use the mask of the killer standing out at the top of the piece and blended in to the main surrounding. Even though the mask blends in to the background a bit does not loosen the hold of terror that the mask portrays. I love this concept and I am thinking about this sort of direction. 

Let Me In used a quite simple design, the characters are simple silhouettes and are placed in a very graceful flow to one another. I think the red blood is the only thing that points to it being a horror movie. But I do like the idea of the silhouettes.  

This is the sort of this my original ideas were leaning toward, I love the simplicity and anonymous hand. 

I love how grubby and rusty this poster is, and it seems like it is a collage underneath the face.

No comments:

Post a Comment