Tuesday 7 October 2014

From Hell (2001)

From Hell is a move starring Johnny Depp about the Ripper murders based on a graphic novel by Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell
From Hell movie DVD case 
I love the red splash and silhouette travelling up the left hand side of the cover. I think this mimics perfectly the sort of horror movie poster seen in Italian horror during the late 60's and 70's. The splash is so expressive and intriguing effect, in my opinion this should have been the only thing on the case, as much as their faces are interesting and captivation and everyone loves some Johnny Depp, I just think that the simplicity of the splash is wonderful and would be awesome if it were the only thing on the case.

Movie still
Movie still
The movie makers (The Hughes Brothers) did so well in recreating the Whitechapel scenes in 1888, the scenes actually match the original places and photographs down to all the details. I find this very impressive that they did this and I would like to do this too, creating a fully realised scene so that it all works seamlessly.
Promotional computer background

From Hell Graphic Novel page by Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell 
I am very interested in the graphic novel and may buy it myself, the drawings are all black and white and so impressive with the very fitting style, I want to research further in to the graphic novel and its creators later.

Looking at movies like this is helping me put the scenes of London in 1888 in to a more wholesome understanding, helping me work towards the creation of my art work for The Ripper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment