Thursday 21 November 2013

Career opportunities that my BA(Hons) Degree can lead me to. (Professional Studies)

In this blog I will be looking at what skills my degree is giving me and how they will help me getting jobs after the course and what sort of jobs these would be.

Here are a list of skills I am gaining through this course (List on CCAD website):
• Drawing techniques and media applications
• Digital illustration
• Printmaking
• Materials and equipment
• Composition and layout
• Contemporary trends
• Narrative illustration
• Decorative illustration
• Problem-solving
• Concept development
• Research skills
• Presentation and communication skills
• Professional practice
• Planning and organisation – meeting deadlines
• Working with clients
• Promoting and marketing your work
• Working in industry or self-employment

As you can see this degree will leave me with a very large skill set, enabling me to approach many different careers if I wish. Here are a few ideas for these careers, as told to me by the course description:

• Freelance illustrator or studio illustrator
• Book illustrator, including children’s books
• Fashion illustrator
• Greetings card illustrator/designer
• Illustration for magazines, editorials and advertising
• Illustration for products, eg. homeware, fashion accessories, stationery
• Working in publishing
• Printmaker
• Styling
• Project management and community arts
• Postgraduate study, eg. MA Illustration
• Postgraduate teaching qualifications
• Teaching and lecturing

This course will give me plenty of skills and opportunities to break in to the industry. As students we will already be working in the industry with live briefs and competitions in our second and third year, so by the time we complete our course we will be working well within the industry. This means our step from studying in to our proper career will be simple and smooth, meaning that we are able to enter any one of the jobs above, so we can do this while we also work towards bigger jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment