Tuesday 3 February 2015

Guillermo Del Toro

Guillermo Del Toro is an artist, director and producer. Guillermo Del Toro is one of my all time favourite artists that I have loved since I was a young teen and I first discovered his most popular film  Pans Labyrinth. Since then I have learned more and more about him and fallen for his art work, I love his sinister style and clever ways of creating terrifying and flawless creatures.
As I grew older I started to look more at his amazing sketchbooks, they are a piece of art in themselves. The balance of the writing that surrounds the illustrations looks awesome and so detailed and interesting. 

Guillermo has indisputable talent in creating monsters and creatures with great thought and detail 


Each monster has its own sense of individuality and personality that he carries through clever designing and a talent for features that work together. 



I have always taken huge inspiration from the creatures of Guillermo's creation. Each is powerful and striking and demands the attention and love or fear from onlookers. 









I love looking at Guillermo's sketchbook designs and how they translate when the costumes are created for films, for example above is a creature in Hell Boy 2. I love this creature and how Guillermo could mix a natural creature with buildings and make it look natural and well polished. The creature already just by looking at the design has a load of personality and creates a hunger to look further in to the creature at every cool detail he adds. 



Guillermo has an amazing understand of what collections of features impact an audience in a mind blowing way. Here for example is the Angel of Death from Hell Boy 2. This creature carries such perfect features that show his status and the fear the creature creates in the onlookers is just astounding. The head alone is pure genius, Guillermo has this amazing ability to think outside of the box when creating his creatures. 



No comments:

Post a Comment